Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart

 

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Magazine  

Genre 

Sports  

Target Audience (Be specific) 

High schoolers/early college students or late teenagers    

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

The concept is a high school level sports magazine that covers future prospects in the sport and local sports news. The magazine will also take a deeper look into the players thoughts on subjects outside of the sports. There will also be sections throughout the magazine where the user can buy products that directly relate to the article. There will also be a contact page for coach information and the athletes’ socials.  

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

I’m really interested in sports and I love watching and reading about them online. I also have friends that talk about playing high school sports all the time.  

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

The concept is unique because it can cover a scope of local players all the way to the top prospects. It can also be unique because it takes a step outside of sports to look get athletes’ perspective on social issues.  

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

This product would interest my audience of high schoolers to early college students who are interested in sports because the broad range of athletes can reach to a personal level which some high school students may relate to and become of interest. They may also look forward to potentially getting a feature article to spread their name and talents to others.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-Make sure to focus on the high school level of sports.  

-This audience would cater towards high school students  

-The articles could include men and women in their issues 

-The magazine could focus on one state specifically for different issues 

-The magazine would also include all high school sports  

-You can incorporate your ideas into these new standards 

-This includes getting to know them through questions and stats for certain games and other information.  

 

            The feedback that I received from my pitch during the class discussion was very positive, informative and constructive towards refining my concept. The feedback from classmates allowed me to look within the concept itself and make it more detailed. I noticed this when certain grey areas of the concept were up to question. It also gave me a better concept that would, more realistically, sell to a large audience that is specific enough to create a reliable set of buyers. My vision was mainly altered, in a sense that, it started very broad and gradually changed to a more specific target audience. The article helped me understand the greater importance of the audience when it stated, “It's important to be in tune with the interests and conversations of readers who gravitate toward certain books while articulating their desires for greater literary representation.” This led me to narrow down my concept to high school sports specifically rather than a range of high school to college all throughout Florida. This was suggested in order to build a fan base that could include subscriptions for avid readers of my magazine. Overall the constructive criticism helped me better understand my topic as a whole and how I can personally change it to make it the most successful.

            My concept is a high school level sports magazine that relies on all sports and schools within Florida. I felt confident in my concept considering in June 2019, “ESPN The Magazine had a reach of over 106 million people” (1). This data demonstrated the large audience that supports sports magazines and those who are avid readers of this genre. The fact that my magazine was confined to Florida also didn’t bother me because of the large percentage that could be in Florida. I also choose this concept because I understood, myself being one, the great retention span for sports information this catered audience enjoys. One quote from The Abundance, joy, beauty, Persistence perfectly described this pleasure: “That sense of community, gathering around a literary object, is where I see the joy and abundance in publishing.”. I also found from Statista that “As of 2015, [ESPN] had a circulation of almost 2.14 million copies, the vast majority of which were sold through its subscription services” (1). This confirms my inference of the reliability of my targeted audience and further supports my new concept idea. I also learned that “The success of a magazine can be measured in a variety of ways such as circulation, digital replica circulation, revenue and annual growth” (2). That being said, if my magazine has a solid concept with a large fanbase that can be circulated easily, then I feel in my ability to create a magazine with a successful concept.

           

Bibliography

1.     https://www.statista.com/statistics/208807/estimated-print-audience-of-popular-magazines/

2.     https://www.statista.com/statistics/238589/number-of-magazines-in-the-united-states/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peer Review

Post Production 2- Defining My Product

Post Production 1- Altering Color Coordination and Style